Saturday, December 1, 2007

Lift as we Climb

I've always been an optimist, shying away from those who would have a negative influence in my life. This practice has afforded me many opportunities for which I am eternally blessed. However, to those whom much is given, much is expected.

On last Sunday when my phone abruptly interupted the loud whistle blown by the referee in the Football game, I saw O's name appear and I thought he had some SHADE to share with his CEO of...well you know my company. Upon answering I realized that it was lil man from the night before on the phone. Although I slightly remembered what I had offered (yes you guessed it...Damnit was quite bent during that convo at Shawnqt's krib), I was still taken aback by what was being requested of me. I didn't immediately render an affirmative response. On my way home I pondered the idea of having lil man stay in my home. Many thoughts went thru my head but the prevailing thought during my 35 minute drive south on the NJ Turnpike from Lil Dred's crib was "What is God up to?" Here I am on the eve of finally achieving my long awaited departure from 'parent rearing' towards blessed indepence. I drove in silence and had a lil talk with the man upstairs. Interestingly enough I found peace in this conversation for a number of reasons. One, I've been blessed in my life thus far. When my athletic scholarship expired while in college and I had no place to stay, my boy allowed me to bum on his couch for my last year...he was a blessing. I've had an ok (not good per my standards, however, profitable) career since leaving college. The few family members (2) that know of my sexual preference are not all that jubilant about it, but have never gone totally off the deep end although mom dukes has had to withstand multiple verbal armageddons rendered by I. All in all, I can't and refuse to complain.

Lil man and I spoke for about a hour that night and I agreed to take him in. I also spoke to him about my expectations of him and my goals for him. Fact is I want him to succeed and be the MAN that his father does not envision him to be but I KNOW he can become with proper guidance. As a child of God marvelously created in his image, he is destined for greatness! I believe that the adversity lil man has faced in his life thus far brought him to O & I for a reason...for that I am greatful. My prayer is that I can be a positive influence in lil man's life by challenging him to be the strong black man that I believe he can be.

Today I put a deposit on my new apartment in the burbs (city living is for the birds...lol) and with the new year will come renewed independence. February will bring forth a transformation in lil mans destiny. Everyday I plan to challenge him to ACHIEVE in EVERYTHING he puts his mind to. 'He Ain't Heavy' is the title of the picture captioned above... Helping lil man is not a burden in my mind, but a responsibility that I humbly and whole heartedly accept! He is now my son.

O, we've spoken and I've expressed to you that anything within my power that I can do to help you during this transitional period until Feb 1st just ask and I will work it out. I love you ma dude.


~Damnit!

13 comments:

Jersey Brotha said...

You're doing a wonderful thing Damnit. May you be forever blessed by being a blessing to someone else!

Unknown said...

And suddenly it's not all about you...
And suddenly you're hot.
:::To one who much is given...::::

Promiscuous X said...

Im glad you are doing what you are doing Dammit.If I had the option to move out i would of took on the task but for now ill support from the sideline, But he calls me his big brother , does that make you my dad hmmmmmm.

PS. be warned that lil nigga can eat and drink you out of a house of home lol

Ailed LittleKnight said...

that was nice of you...

Omar Ramon said...

Love you too man. We gon' work this out!

Omar Ramon said...

Love you too man. We gon' work this out!

fuzzy said...

ummm o and dammit you two are like gold to this boy. If i can help ny further please let me know... I am here don't be afraid to ask... The boy is bright and he only needs a positive role model and good direction. So far we have learned a few life lessons... more to come...

Dayne Avery said...

Okay...first Shawn's post, then O's post, now yours. Ya'll are gonna make me shed a tear damnit!

Ty said...

I am proud of you guys and wish you the best on your endeavour.

Larry D. Lyons II said...

does this mean that i've forefitted my dibbs on the quest quarters?

shucks.

all best on the pitch-hit parenting. how very selfless of you.

Trackstar said...

Damn I neva knew you were that deep c i knew looking past all the shade i wud c the gentleman you truly are

Motionphics said...

Out of all you have said before, these words speaks volumes. I know while crossing the sands you may have learned this quote, "I rather see a sermon than hear one any day." Well my friend as the Great Right Reverend Ike would say "I am preaching myself happy." You betta preach boi!!!

I’D RATHER SEE A SERMON
I’d rather see a sermon than hear one any day;
I’d rather one should walk with me than merely show the way.
The eye’s a better pupil and more willing than the ear,
Fine counsel is confusing, but example’s always clear;
And the best of all the preachers are the men who live their creeds,
For to see good put into action's what everybody needs.
I soon can learn to do it if you’ll let me see it done;
I can watch your hands in action, but your tongue too fast may run.
And the lecture you deliver may be very wise and true,
But I’d rather get my lessons by observing what you do;
For I might misunderstand you and the high advice you give,
But there’s no misunderstanding how you act and how you live.
When I see a deed of kindness, I am eager to be kind.
When a weaker brother stumbles and a strong man stays behind
Just to see if he can help him, then the wish grows strong in me
To become as big and thoughtful as I knew that friend to be.
And all the travelers can witness that the best of guides today
Is not the one who tells them, but the one who shows the way.
One good man teaches many, men believe what they behold;
One deed of kindness noticed is worth forty that are told.
Who stands with men of honor learns to hold his honor dear,
For right living speaks a language which to everyone is clear.
Though an able speaker charms me with his eloquence, I say,
I’d rather see a sermon than hear one any day.

Edgar Guest (1881-1959)

HisLoveCoversMe said...

I'm a little late in reading this and all I can say is WOW. Nice my brother very nice. You're truly a blessing.